Broody question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by becstalls, Nov 19, 2010.

1. becstalls

becstalls Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Can a chicken successfully hatch out an egg at this time of year? I have a barred rock that seems to have gone broody. She's only on one egg, and if she can actually hatch out a chick this time of year, I'm thinking of just letting her ride it out. But I have never had a broody chicken before, much less had one hatch out eggs. Tell me what I should know please [​IMG]

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:If she is broody is can hatch out eggs. . . .. There is no rule in mother nature that says hens can only hatch eggs at certain times of the year.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG] If you want her to hatch her eggs and she wants to hatch her eggs then I would let her. As long as she's around, the chicks should be fine

4. becstalls

becstalls Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Cool beans! Thanks! If she's successful, should I bring the chicks indoors after they hatch, or will she take care of them? Also, we'll probably be moving before Christmas. All the clucks are coming too (DH and father in law built coop to be moved if necessary, but you need a tilt bed truck). I'm guessing she'll still be on the eggs when we move if she really is broody. Any thoughts on how to move her without making her quit? Could I just put the nesting material, eggs, and her in a cardboard box and move them?

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    She should care for them quite well, but it depends on the hen. I would let the hen have a go at raising the chicks and see how it goes, but that's up to you [​IMG]

6. Farm girl 1465

Farm girl 1465 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2007
    My 5month old Buff Brahama went broody in September. We let her sit on 2 eggs in the nest box until the first hatched then we moved her and the chick to a floor level nest in a protected area of the coop, the second egg never hatched but she is a happy mama with her one baby who is almost 3 weeks old now. They do not like to be separated and seem to be doing quite well! It is down to 31 degrees this weekend and may snow but she is keeping her baby warm and happy. :)Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by