Broody Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4sillychickens, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 4sillychickens

4sillychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Western Washington
    I have a hen that's been broody for a week now. There's no rooster with her, so no fertile eggs. But what I was wondering is, is it too late to put some fertile eggs under her? Or will she stop sitting on them the last week because she's already been sitting for a week on infertile eggs. I hope you all understood that [​IMG]
    Any opinions?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It's pure hormones that make them broody. They don't need a rooster or even any eggs under them to do it. She should be fine with you adding eggs now. I had one that was broody for 3 weeks before I gave her some eggs to hatch and she was thrilled to see them, and sat the entire extra 3 weeks to hatch them.

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Broodiness can sometimes last a long while. My little BO hen has been broody for most of the summer. I'd already hatched out all the chicks I wanted earlier in the spring so I really didn't want to put any eggs under her. Haven't been able to coax her off that nest - she's up to eat, drink, and relieve herself and then right back on. She's gotten very thin over the past couple of months. I was afraid she was going to brood herself to death, so yesterday a friend grabbed a few fertile eggs out from underneath one of her broodies and gave them to me. Chicklet is happy as a clam - finally. [​IMG]

4. toripeeps

toripeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I have a PlymouthRock that has been broody for several weeks. I keep taking her off nest when I find her there. Because I don't want any chicks I take eggs every day. But she still sits on empty nest. Will this stop on its own or do I need to worry about her?
    She will stay out of Coop all day with other girls if I keep door closed. They are free range, but she has stopped laying. Any advise?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My last broody was on the nest a week before I gave her eggs - she hatched them just fine. She did lose a lot of weight though. Chickens can't tell time, so they don't know how long they've been there.

6. 4sillychickens

4sillychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Western Washington
    Thanks for all the comments! I'm getting some fertile eggs today [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by