Broody question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crooked stripe, Aug 26, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have a buff orp that went broody. I bought some fertile eggs form Meyer and placed them under her. She has adopted them and been sitting for a week now. How should I prep the cage for the new chicks. Now they are on a 1/4" wire floor. I know from trying to hatch from a bator what I should do but what should I do now that I have a mom to take care of the chicks? Floor type, bedding and cage prep etc. I will keep the new chicks and mom in the cage till they are old enough to unite them with the older chickens. The cage is 2x3x8 and is in the coop. All opinions are wanted. John

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, if it was me, I would close her off in a smaller section, and line to wire with the rubber shelf liner. I would make sure there were no drafts, but mom will take care of keeping the babies warm. [​IMG] Fresh shavings... make sure you take mom off of the nest 2-3 times a day so she can eat, drink, poop and generally stretch her legs. Believe me... if she sits there for more than a week without pooping, you're going to have ONE BIG MESS when she does! And risk the chance of contaminating the eggs. Put her food and water far enough away that she has to walk around. Eventually the chicks will venture out of the nest box, and when they do, the liner will help protect their feet until they're able to walk on it properly. Then as they grow larger, increase the area of the cage that they're allowed to inhabit until they're old enough to go out with the other chicks.

Wow, that's so exciting! I so rarely have a broody hen when I have fertile eggs, and visa versa... how lucky!! [​IMG]

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Believe me I had no plans for such a thing happening. She showed signs of broodiness the week before not leaving the main nest boxes. She would move from nest to nest sitting on others eggs. I kept pushing her out but finely gave in. I will try your suggestions and keep my finger crossed. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by