1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Question!?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by albird101, Feb 20, 2014.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Today I went out to check my broody and I heard peeping, I got so excited thinking atlast the baby chicks hatched I lifted her up, to check if any chicks were born there wasent any so I'm guessing the peeping is coming from inside the egg! I put her back down thinking I'll harm the baby chicks as there about to hatch or in the process of hatching.. today is the 20th day for the eggs should I expect some chicks tomarrow or late at night? Also, me picking up the hen does that harm the baby chicks in the eggs at all? Thanks

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you should have chicks in the next day or so, good luck with them! I would not pick up the hen / disturb her at this time if you can avoid it, she is keeping the temperature and humidity where it should be hopefully so the chicks can hatch.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Wish you well with the new additions [​IMG][​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's best not to upset your hen, too much stress and she may abandon the nest. Let mama do her job.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your broody and her babies! Keep us posted on the hatch! [​IMG]

6. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    they finally hatched well there still hatching so far 9/14 have hatched and ones on the way!![​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by