Broody question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by okie16, Oct 20, 2008.

1. okie16

okie16 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    we have a banty hen that just startted laying a week and a half ago. We took her eggs and put them in a bator. She was laying an egg everyother day until she startted sitting on the hen's eggs this weekend. Will she start laying again and/or can I put the eggs from the bator back in the nest?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Is she still broody ??? I think its up to you !!!!! Young hens/pullets can be crapy broodys sometimes and she could decide to stop sitting anytime.... How long has she been sitting for ???? How many eggs does she have under her now ??? I would keep a eye on her and make sure she doesnt give up !!!!

3. okie16

Mar 3, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    she has been broody for 2 days. The past two days I have taken the eggs out from under her, so right now there are none

4. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Maybe just give her 1 or 2, that way she can hatch a few and if she is a good mom you could give her the chicks you hatch in the bator !!!!! If you dont give her any back she could sit for a long while !!!!! Its also much easyer to let a broody raise chicks !!! Like I said just keep an eye on her !!!

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Just out of curiosty...is it possible to coerce a Silkie into going broody by putting a few eggs in her nest?

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Some say you can make a hen broody, I dont belive so !!!! It's a hormone thing !!!!! But, give it a try if you would like !!!! I would use fake eggs or golf balls so nothing becomes messy with real eggs !!!!

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    My Silkie was on the nest for about 4 hours yesterday, but then she got off, so I stole her eggs, but now I'm wondering if I should stick a few in there just for fun. She hatched some chicks about 9 weeks ago. Is that too soon to try it again?

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Should be ok !!!!!

9. okie16

Mar 3, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    she was out of the box when I went to put the eggs in. I hope she goes back in.

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Like I said I would only give her 1 or 2 !!!!! Is this the first time she was off today ????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by