Broody Questions

NewHopePoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Troy,Missouri
I have a splash cochin hen that has been broody for almost a week.
Im getting fertile eggs this Saturday.
Will she still sit on the eggs and hatch them?
Or is it too late to put fertile eggs under her?
Do they only sit for a certain amount of days?

I have a black Cochin that's broody right now. I'd say if she's still broody on Sat., and you put eggs under her, she will sit 'til they hatch. Cleo (my Cochin) did that last year for me with some BJG eggs. JMHO

Mine went broody last Thursday, and I finally got a clutch together and under her tonight. She hunkered right down and will raise them up. Often times it is recommended to wait a few days before you add eggs to make sure that the broody is determined.

The question I would like to add, is I put 10 eggs under her, but I would like more chicks. If I time it right and order chicks that would be just the age my hatched chicks are, can I slip another 1/2 dozen chicks under her at night when these are hatching?

Maybe put "place holders" under her until Saturday? When you get her off the nest on Saturday to take her walk and poop, you can switch them out.

I have a black australorp who went broody on the 7th. It took a few days, but we got into a routine. She's in a 3x6 coop by herself, with a small bowl of water, sitting on 8 fertilized eggs. Every morning when I go outside for animal chores, I open her door first, sprinkle some sweet feed or special treats for her at the corner of her nest box. She eats them while I tend to the goats (leaving her door open). I turn around a few moments later, and she's out, scratching in the yard, drinking lots of water, and making huge piles of poo. She's usually out about 10 minutes, and doesn't mind if I go up to her nest, count eggs, refill her water so if I needed to add more eggs or do a switch off, that would be a good time to do it.

Of course, you know that making her get off the nest a little bit every day will help keep the nest clean (no poo), and keep her from fading away (watch the comb color).

Mrs. K: probably, yes. Chickens can't count.

Sorry I rambled. It's kinda late.

She's been getting off the nest once a day to eat,drink,poo,etc and then she goes right back to it.
Ive been keeping an egg under her to try to keep her sitting.

The people Im getting the eggs from usually sells themfor eating,but I asked them not to put them in the icebox.
Is there anything else I need to tell them?

pop.gif

Might sound like a stupid question, but if she is not already sitting on her eggs.. how would you know she is broody? Will the hen just stay in her nest until you introduce eggs? I have only had experience with one hen who hatched her own eggs that she laid, (or possibly stole from other hens in the coop), she only hatched three.

I had a broody I tried to break for a month before I gave in and gave her eggs. I currently have a broody that has been broody for 1 1/2 weeks. I would recommend removing the placeholder egg so she doesn't leave the nest when it hatches and leave the rest of the eggs to die.

Also a note about the refridgerated eggs. I have one in my incubator (was a placeholder) that was 2-3 weeks old and refrigerated that is due to hatch any day. I also have 4 more refrigerated eggs that are due to hatch next weekend. These are not my first ones to hatch from the fridge. The 3 week old one IS my oldest. I wasn't expecting it to develope.

I wrote this thread about a different topic but it has a lot of information about the mechanics of broodiness. Also, you have a very broody breed so I would look forward to chicks in the future. Also, there is a technique on how to safely place eggs under her without breaking her off the nest.

Back
Top Bottom