Broody Questions

chickeneer45

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Hi my chicken has started going broody for the first time ever for me and really don't know much about it so I am just trying to get all the information that I can. First off, how many eggs should the broody hen sit on on average? Also, do you need to isolate the broody hen at any time? Do I need to isolate her once her eggs hatch? Are roosters generally aggressive against baby chicks/broody hens? And I'll let ya'll know if I think of anymore questions. Thanks so much.

chickeneer45

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Okay thank you. The only reason I ask how many eggs is because I feel like I heard somewhere that there shouldnt be more than six eggs under the hen so that she can take care of them all.

chickeneer45

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Okay so three more questions: first, i have no idea how many eggs my chicken is sitting on and id really like to know can i remove her for just a few seconds to check? Or is that offlimits? Also, what are the chances my eggs are fertile if there are four roosters and three hens? Is there anyway they can be not fertile? Ive seen this broody hen being mounted in the past week... Also, if the eggs were not being laid on for a day or two will they never hatch? Thanks so much any answers would be greatly appreciated!!

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom