Broody raised chicks roosting w/ the flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AGCB, Sep 24, 2016.

1. AGCB

AGCB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    I have 5 broody raised chicks that are 9 weeks old. They have been mixing with 8 hens for 4 weeks but still sleep in their separate box with the broody at night. They have been in the coop where the roosts are during the day. I was hoping that mom would bring them to the coop roost but now wondering if I should force the issue by removing the box. It must be crowded in there with 5 big chicks and mom (13 x 24" box. Nights are now 50-55 degrees. The coop provides so much better protection for them at night.

Should I just let nature run its course or should I remove the box or at least block it off? They are the fist in bed at sunset.

Aaron

2. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    If you block it or remove it, she wil find a new place where to nest with the chicks. I seen this with mine.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I was facing this exact problem this week. I have a single chick, six weeks old, that is being reared by a broody hen. The hen has been sleeping with her chick in a nest box, and I felt it was high time they both started roosting.

I had a feeling the chick was ready but the broody has just preferred sleeping in a nest, not a desirable habit for either one of them. So what I did was to take plastic deer netting and tacked it up over the nest boxes so the two would be forced to use the perch.

It worked. Both broody and chick have been roosting on the perch ever since. I have no doubt that they would have continued to sleep in the nest indefinitely if I hadn't taken this step to block them and change this habit.

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    There is no need to force the issue, let them decide when they want to roost.
    Also at about 8-10 weeks, its about time for the momma hen to push them away anyway.
    So as long as the place they are sleeping is secure, just let them figure it out.

Hens have been raising broods by themselves for thousands of years without interference from us.
    Provide them protection from predators, a nest box and food and water and they will be just fine!

5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I left the box in the coop until mom and the chicks left it on their own. Alas, mom was a game hen, and she immediately taught them to roost in the trees. Now they are on their own, and still roosting in the trees.

6. AGCB

AGCB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    Thanks
    I'll
    give them more time
    Aaron

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by