broody raising chicks - any issues?

watership

Chirping
Jan 23, 2012
So. Calif
We just hatched some chicks (first hatch ever :D ) and decided to put them under our broody Alice to avoid the brooder-in-the-house issue. They're 3 days old, she's had them for 1 day and all seems ok. I've never done this before and am wondering if there's anything I should be aware of. They're in a separated area in the coop, with access to non- medicated starter/ grower and water. I had layer pellets up high for Alice, but she keeps clucking and putting them on the ground for the chicks to eat, so I think I should remove the pellets?

Thanks for any help!

i don't have any answers for you, me being a novice, but i just wanted to say how great i think it would be to see my babies w/a mama (as it was meant to be). congratulations on your hatching.

Put out the medicated starter/grower and a small waterer for the chicks. Mama will get what she want from that. What I did to save so much waste was to put a frizzbie upside down under the quart bottle feeder to catch what they throw out. Mama is worst about that. Get the small water base and you don't have to worry about the water being to deep for the chicks. I put the ACV in the water and have no problems with the diet. As they grow older they will need more water but the feed stays the same till they get ready to lay. I took mama away at 7 week and she and the chicks seem to like that arrangement a lot.

We only have 3 hens and now the chicks, we are ver invested in all our pet chickens, thanks for the help!

A frisbee is a good idea! I've only got non-medicated chick food, isn't that ok especially if they're out there with the others in the covered run? I don't have to worry about the temps, do I? Won't the mama hen do that? We are in So Cal, with night temps in the upper 40s.

The non-medicated feed is find. I just feed that as a precaution. But I do put the ACV in the water for the same reason. As to the cold, mama will do what it takes. My broody would walk around for 10 minutes and find a spot in a cubby hole and sit with the babies all under her. Same in the nest. They went to bed with mama spread out to cover them all. Mine went out on day three and it was 31 degrees. Upper 40's and they won't know the difference. Mama went out with um and I let do her thing. She being a chicken knows more about chickens than I. Trust the hen to know best. They do very well.

Back
Top Bottom