Broody raising meat chicks...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by theOEGBman, Apr 14, 2008.

1. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Hello,

My mom told me the only way I can raise my own meat birds is if I get a broody to raise them. I have 1-2 broodies right now, and I would like to slip some Cornish X chicks under them from the feedstore if possible. Has anyone done this before? I would be worried about the Cornish X smushing the other chicks, or being too big for the mother to cover because they grew too fast. So, would this work, or is it going to be a waste of time? Thanks.

Jordan

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We ordered 25 Jumbo Cornish X Rocks from MM Hatchery. In just 2 weeks they have gone through 50 lbs of feed, and are the size of large oranges !!!:eek: I agree that they would grow too fast and large for a hen to care for them properly. All they do is eat, drink, and poop !! You can honestly see day to day how fast they grow. Just provide them with food,water, and a heat lamp for warmth; they will do the rest. They are so different from chicks that have been hatched by a hen. Good luck !

3. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Thanks, Felicia.

I've raised one Cornish X before and I was amazed at how fast they grew. He was an accidental buy by my cousin, and I took over for him. My only problem is that my parents wont let me brood in the house or garage, so my only option is a broody. I appreciate your input.

Anymore input would be greatly appreciated!

Jordan

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    my cousin used to pound steel fence post in the ground for corner posts and wire up plywood for sides and use a plastice tarp for a roof,hang a heat lamp in there and put in shavings and thats all you need,he raised 100s of cornish X like that

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I've never heard of using a broody hen. Interesting tale.

6. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Skeeter, that is the problem. My parents wont let me set up a brooder, ANYWHERE. My birds dont live with me, I live in the city. They live at my grandma's, and I cant have a heat lamp out there when Im not out there all the time. Thats why a broody is my only option. I have 2 broodies right now and 3 more girls were thinking about it. Im not sure, I might give it a try and if she doesnt seem to be doing a good job, I'll just have to sneak them inside,lol.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I was going to try it as a cruel joke to the hen, but decided not to. I do remember someone trying to raise a peachick with a broody, but once the peachick was "too big" the hen stopped taking care of it and it died.

8. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Humm... well this just doesnt look good for me, haha. Well, I appreciate everyones input. [​IMG]

9. grovernors

grovernors New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Cochins do make good broody moms and are large, however... probably not ready for how fast little meaties grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by