Broody Raising...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Robbo, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    Broody raising incubator babies? My broody is on 4 my incubator is full. Set for the same day. We are still in pretty nasty cold winter so when the broody hatches I plan on bringing them and mama inside of the house. I have a set up ready. Just a little spot with straw, food, and water, Large enough for mama (silkie) to walk around as will and the chicks. So when the chicks start hatching in the bator can I place them with her?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can. Just check on them occasionally the first couple hours to make sure they haven't wandered off. Usually the first day it works just fine. I do it at night when she's sitting tight.

I had two hens that lost their chicks to a mink in the middle of the day while foraging. I put all the chicks in a brooder house as they came out of the incubator. I put one of the hens with them and she adopted about 35 chicks.

[​IMG]

3. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    I would not recommend it because she might try to kill them. You could try putting one of the chicks in the brooder with her and see what she does.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's why I do it at night. She can't see them and she isn't moving about. The mothering instinct is quite strong then and I've never had one try to kill a chick. They sometimes ignore them though but not often.

I've even had 8 pullets go broody in a community nest. Being amateurs, they messed it up by stealing each other's eggs. In the end only 1 hatched. They all mothered it.

5. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    ChickenCanoe,

Do you keep them outside year long? I have her in a small secluded coop inside of the run with the other birds. But she is in her own coop with a small attached run. I was going to bring them inside because we are still averaging 20-25* at night. Or would it be okay to keep her in that coop with them? I can say that coop doesn't get much warmer at night it is so small. It stays about the same temp as outside, just doesn't have a draft.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Short answer is yes. Luckily I've only had a few broodies going into winter. The first time I added chicks, I added 2 that were about 3 days old so weren't bonded to the hen and one jumped out. It froze so that's why I say to check on them every 15 or 20 minutes to make sure they're still under her. The next couple times I did it, the nests were closer to floor level. I checked every 20 minutes and all was well.
    Don't disturb her, just scan the floor of the coop with a flashlight. As long as you don't see any chicks, then they're under her.

If cold is your concern, this discussion may answer some of your questions.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/947046/broody-in-michigan-winter

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by