Broody Red Sex Link Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chookhead, Dec 28, 2011.

1. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    hey evryone my hen is a 2 yr old red sexlink she is broody and she lays for a while then stopps for winter but this yr she has brooded so i got her fertilized eggs and i was wondering why she has started the broody cluck on the nest like just to the eggs is this a sign that there is sumthin in the eggs and also cana chicken be so diversly bred that it will not grow eg very mixed breed rooster and pure bred hen ????? any extra info is very apreciated

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm sorry. I have real trouble understanding what you are asking. Spelling and punctuation were developed for a reason.

I don't know how long she has been on the nest. A broody hen will talk to her chicks as they position themselves to hatch, so it is possible that is going on. But broodies will cluck anyway. I'm not sure of the purpose. I think it might be that they are telling the other chickens that I'm in a bad mood so don''t mess with me, but I don't know that for sure.

I really have no idea what you are asking about the mixed breed rooster and purebred hen?

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:As long as both the mom and dad are chickens, they should be able to have viable offspring. Sometimes, a chicken can even breed with a guinea! (http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Guineas/BRKGuinHybrid.html)

(I sometimes have trouble with spelling, too. Did you know that you can right-click on the words with the red underline when you are drafting your post and it will suggest possible spellings? I find that very helpful. [​IMG] )

4. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    sorry people i was typing really fast lol but u get wat i mean

5. PressOn

PressOn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Woods Cross Utah
    I have two RSL and two BSL. I usually get four large eggs / day from them. My egg production dropped down to two eggs/ day. They have plenty of food, space, water, shade, and none of them are molting. I started to suspect that they were eating the eggs. Two weeks ago I put six store bought white eggs in the nest to see if they would eat any of them. Nope they did not eat any of them, however the extra eggs left in the nest have stirred a new change in one of the hens. As of this week I have a broody red sex link. I was under the impression that these hens do not Brood. I moved the eggs to another nest and she followed. I suppose that any breed can occasionally go broody.

6. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    I have a red sexlink that went broody for 2 months this year and we didn't have a rooster, so I ordered 12 chicks from Ideal and put them under her at night and she raised them all. She is a great mother. [​IMG]

7. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    My rsl hen has successfully brooded and raised 2 clutches of ducks. One time there were 13 eggs and 12 survived. She is a great mum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by