1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody reds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wvplucker, Sep 25, 2010.

1. wvplucker

wvplucker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    In the spring I got some "Assorted Reds" from TSC. Most of the girls appear to be golden comets or some other red sexlink. the roos were RIR. 2 of the girls are broody. One for a nearly 3 weeks. About every other day she kicks out one egg, that smells rotten. What are the chances that any of the egss will hatch. The other one hasn't kicked out any yet.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old is your rooster? Have you seen him mate? When you crack open eggs to eat, are they fertile?

A broody hen will kick out infertile eggs.

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    What is your rooster to hen ratio? I agree they are probably infertile eggs she is kicking out.

4. wvplucker

Apr 28, 2010
    Oh yes. I haven't culled yet, so there are 5 roo's taking care of business. Breeding is witnessed several times a day

5. wvplucker

Apr 28, 2010
    The current ratio is 1 roo for 3 hens. like I said, breeding is witnessed many times a day. The other broody hasn't kicked any out yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by