1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody RedStar

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frogman211, Apr 6, 2016.

1. frogman211

frogman211 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Pine Bluff Arkansas
    I have a Red Star hen that has been acting broody for two weeks. I have 21 hens that are 8 months old and she is the only one acting like this. I get 20 eggs a day so I know she must not be laying . She doesn't sit on the nest just walks around acting like a momma hen takeing care of baby chicks. How long will she do this?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some remain broody for up to two months, it's a hormonal phase, I don't know if she can be broken from it if she isn't sitting.

1 person likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She will eventually return to laying, but not until she's no longer broody, and after that it can take up to a month to resume, most times I choose to break them. I might try penning her elsewhere for about three days to see if it would help break her, she could be pre broody and hasn't gotten around to actually setting yet. Sometimes a wire bottom crate is needed, other times just relocating them to somewhere they aren't familiar with will do it.

1 person likes this.
  4. frogman211

frogman211 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Pine Bluff Arkansas
    She isn't sitting on eggs. She just walks around doing the momma hen thing. I just thought it was unusual for Red Star to go broody. Thanks for the advice

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It is unusual, that may be why she isn't doing the full behavior, she's stuck in between.

6. frogman211

frogman211 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Pine Bluff Arkansas
    Follow up to my Red Star that went broody. About 29 days ago she wouldn't leave the nest, so I set her and 28 days later she has started hatching the eggs I put her on.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Should be interesting to hear if she's a good mom, not many sex link hens go broody.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Some just take a while for those hormones to reach full strength. Good luck with your little odd-ball broody. She is definitely are rare case.

9. frogman211

frogman211 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Pine Bluff Arkansas
    She started hatching on 5/11 and went thru 5/13. She hatched 13 out of 14 eggs and all are doing fine so far. I placed Dominic eggs under her

10. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! I have 15 red sexlink hens... that's cool that yours went broody :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by