Broody refuses to leave nest to eat/drink

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdbrain5, May 12, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i have a hen that will not leave her nest to eat or drink, shes been on the eggs almost a week, and i really dont think much, if any of the food i have in her cage has been touched, nor the water. her comb has gotten really pale and small, so i am starting to worry about her. i try to coax her out with a stick because she is quite vicious and strikes at me like crazy. should i just leave her be or get her out of there and not let her back in until i see her eat or drink? her food and water are close and within eye shot of her, and shes seperate from the others. any ideas?

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I was recently worried about this as well. I placed feed right outside of her nest box and she wouldn't budge. So, I decided to put some right in front of her inside her nest box. She gobbled it up in no time. Been doing it daily since.

3. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    I've always taken her off the nest and put her down in front of the feed and water but you have to do it where she cannot see her nest or she will just run back to it and sit down. She will peck pretty good but it's in her best interest to make her eat and drink

4. empireranch

empireranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    I am taking my broody off the nest at least once a day. She is eating very little - I have a small food dish and water directly in front of her also. She will peck at the scratch and will eat small amounts of kale, but nothing else - I have not seen her drink for a week. I did get some chick starter yesterday in anticipation of chicks and put that down for her.....no interest. Fortunately, she is not aggressive when I pick her up - that would make it tricky - perhaps heavy garden gloves?

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I hand delivered food and thawed frozen peas to my broody mamma duck. She was barely touching her food, but today she has 6 happy, healthy little ducklings and she was chowing the food like mad [​IMG]

Hand feeding may be a pain but see if you can tempt her somehow or you may lose her.

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    They need to have a daily break to not only eat & drink but to poop.
    I put Mrs. Grumpy out when I get home. She looks forward to her breaktime and lets me know when she is ready to come back to the nest. Her nest is in the big brooder hutch and she preferd to hitch a ride on my shoulders back to the nest instead of hopping back in. [​IMG]

Just get some heavy gloves and gently take her out. She will fuss, but it is for her good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by