Broody Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abuzar1, Aug 16, 2008.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    So I went on vacation for a month or so. My Uncle was supposed to collect the eggs. But one of the hens started laying in our storage shed(I know LOL). Anyway by the time I got back on of the hens had like 15 eggs under her and was broody!

I hear this is unusual for a Rhode Island Red? This was also the first hens that started laying, and I have 5 the same age.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

It might be unusual, but how did farmers gain more RIR's to populate their home flocks. Not only that, but she wanted to be a momma! Hope they are fertilized! (I am jealous that everyone elses birds go broody. My Amera/Gains cross should be soooo broody....but not mine. ) If they are not fertile, she will break on 22-24 days and be fine. Keep offering food and water where she is at and let nature take its course.

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have come to find out that hen's don't read their owner's manual,lol. I've had 3 white leghorns go broody this year. The last one has 3 chicks and will try to take your hand off if you bother her chicks.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    Well I removed her eggs, and in a day she became normal again. I would love to have some more baby chickens but we didn't have a rooster at the time lol.

So I just got a rooster a few days ago. I want her to go broody again, but I doubt she will oblige. Looks like I might have to buy a hovabator.

I might also get some quail eggs for hatching lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by