Broody RIR going on 2 months now... what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zephyr66, Feb 1, 2011.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    One of my Rhode Island Reds went broody almost 2 months ago, but due to the cold, I didn't want her hatching any chicks yet. This is my first flock, and I do want to hatch chicks, but knew it wasn't a good idea to have them so early. But, now she is going on almost 2 months!! Day after day she sits only coming out for food and water. I continue to take eggs from her, she bounces from nesting box to nesting box where others lay, and lays at night in an empty nesting box. Isn't this extremely long? Although I am now ready for a broody hen, I've read they usually only set about 21 days and then abandon the nest... so I thought to let her begin setting at this point will just waste eggs. Any thoughts about why she is setting so long and if I can start her on eggs now?

Thank you!

Sylvia [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had one stay broody for 4 months once.

It would help if we knew where you are, though a bit of a search would reveal that people up north are letting their broodies hatch chicks.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    IMO I would just let her hatch some chickies! [​IMG]

4. zephyr66

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    okay, based on these two responses, i have let her have her eggs today! i put 3 eggs back under her just now that were layed today (marked them with pencil) and will let her have 3 or 4 more tomorrow and i think that's good for my first hatch. i just hope she doesn't get fed up half way through setting - but, if so, my dogs will like them, ha ha. also, i'm in the southern california high desert at about 3000 feet. i know, not cold for most of you.

is it okay to let her set on them up to about 19 days and then move her to her separate coop area? that was another reason i didn't let her go longer cause i hadn't built her an area away from teh other birds. but, in a couple weeks i should be all set up. i hear it's best to move them at night? what are your suggestions?

i really appreciate your feedback!

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Personally I would let her hatch them where she is now and move them after the hatch to her own enclosure. I think moving them on day 19 could be a little risky. I would hate for you to have something go wrong with only two days left till that magic day! Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

6. zephyr66

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    if i don't catch them right when they hatch, you don't think the other hens will try and kill them? the nesting box is heavily lipped and is about a foot off the straw floor... best you think to keep my eye out and move them right after they hatch? i was worried they might hatch in the morning and i would be away all day or something of that sort. i'm gonna do whatever the best idea is!

7. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with LBrad7. I would leave them sit. If you move her she might decide to stop being broody. The newborn chicks kind of stay right under mom at first. Just count your days and they will hatch right on the appropriate day. Be ready to move them as soon as all of them hatch. You could always lock your other hens out of the coop for just a couple hours when that happens too.

I had two hens that went broody together and were that way for 2 months. I finally gave in and gave them eggs. They raised them all very nicely for me. They really wanted to be mothers and then really enjoyed their chicks.

8. zephyr66

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by