broody rir, no rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cinders55, Jun 15, 2010.

1. cinders55

cinders55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Citronelle, AL
    should i be worried about my hen who has suddenly gone broody when i have no rooster? i've never had chickens until i got my two rir chicks last year. we live on 10 acres out in the woods so when the chicks grew big enough i let them have the run of the place. they have a fenced in area but can come and go as they please. at night they roost on the porch rail. after a visit from my neighbor's guineas with their chicks one of my hens went broody. i make her come in for food and water once a day, but she spends the rest of her time on her nest under the house. she's not laying everyday like she used to, but one every few days. i take the egg when she does lay, but she continues to sit on an empty nest. i'm concerned.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    It is a hormonal thing, has nothing to do with a Roo.Her hormones dont understand her egg's arent fertile.

3. cinders55

cinders55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Citronelle, AL
    Thanks, should i just ignore it so long as i make sure she eats and drinks once a day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by