Broody rir

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinakevin, Jul 8, 2016.

1. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Hi I have a rir that I believe has gone broody. How do I figure out if she will be a true broody or give up at some point. She has been sitting in her nest box for the last couple of days. Today I took her out of the box and she ate some food. Went out into the fenced in area for a few min. Then back into the nest. I know the other hens are aggravated with her because they all want to use the same box. I will get her some eggs if I think she is serious. I don't have a rooster anymore but I'm not opposed to buying her some

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Broody RIR ! I know they have to at least occasionally, but would not have expected that from the breed.

To determine if she is broody - does she puff, do the cluck-cluck-cluck rant and peck you when you touch her in the nest?

3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Only one way to really know, let her set. If you have a rooster or know someone with fertile eggs, put a 1/2 dzn in the box and let her set. If it works out its very rewarding! If not you've only lost a few eggs.

4. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Hi thank u for responding. Turns out she was very serious. I went to the feed store to ask if they knew anyone with fertile eggs as they are a small town feed store and as luck would have it they had 3 baby chicks that someone ordered and then canceled so I bought them for her knowing if she didn't accept them I would take care of them as I am still raising other baby chicks but they are already in their own coop. So anyway she was very happy to finally meet her babies. It's so funny cuz I was told they are bantam Americunas not too sure so I will post pics on the breed thread. But she is turning into a good mama so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by