Broody RIR

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hispoptart, Feb 9, 2012.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    My 10 month old RIR has gone broody. She is sitting on some eggs that I didn't get collected. I thought something was wrong with her and I reached in to pet her and she screeched and growled at me. Never heard a chicken growl before [​IMG] I then saw the eggs under her. So y question is ...how do I get the eggs without being eaten alive and will she stop this nonsense after I take them away. We have no rooster so she doesn't have a shot at being a momma. Thanks

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Put on some gloves and remove the eggs.

It has been suggested here to put a broody hen in a wire cage so that there is air under the hen. The hen will naturally realize that there is no way eggs can be hatched with cold air coming up her backside. It was suggested to leave the hen in this cage/hutch for three days.

Is this a purebred Rhode Island Red? Of course any breed of hen can go broody, it is just rare with Rhode Island Reds.

3. hispoptart

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado

Not sure if she is purebred or not, got her as a chick at the feedstore. So even after I brave her growls and pecks she will remain broody if I don't do something about it? I don't have a cage. I might have to find one if thats the case. Sorry if I sound like an idiot. This is my first year with chickens.
    Thanks for your reply :)

4. hispoptart

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Well maybe she was not broody after all. Boy do I feel dumb now[​IMG]buy the time I was done replying and went out ARMED with gloves LOL she was out and about. So no need for gloves. I took advantage of them all running around and gave the coop a good clean out, fed and watered and they are happy hens. DH came home from work and I asked him how he was, he said good and asked me how I was. I said great just got done with the farm chores. He laughed at me. See we have 4 chickens and live in town LOL

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    A broody hen will come off the nest for a short time once a day to eat, drink, and take care of business.

Hopefully when you went to collect eggs the hen just happened to be sitting in the nest. Maybe she had just laid an egg.

You will know for sure tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    When my BO was broody she would stay on the nest up to 6 days. Don't know how she survived but she did. But when she did, did she ever poop and pure rotten. But she was a good mama, just didn't defend the chicks like I would have like to see. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by