BROODY RIR

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicktwit, Oct 17, 2008.

1. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Just found my RIR in a shed away from the chicken house w/15 eggs under her yesterday. I needed to move her because she has no protection from skunks possums or anything else. That was an event in itself. After we got her moved & tried to get her to set her eggs in the hen house she went back to that shed. It was dark so I tried it again & although she really wanted to go I shown the flashlight on those eggs & she sat down on them. There's so many she can't cover them so I put a couple under my silkie hens who can't understand why this is not a good time of year to raise babies. I'll candle when it daylight to see if they're ready to hatch or what. It's really too late in the year to raise babies. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Whoops. I guess we can't tell our hens when they are supposed to be mama's. 15 eggs is quite a few, even for my big fat BO Audrey.

3. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Yes and after all that she's walking around the yard w/her sisters & my silkie/cochin cross is now setting all her eggs. Go figure. I thought I read that RIR's had the broody instinct bred out like leghorns. Her sisters haven't done that. All the eggs look the same size & color too. I'm unfortunately gone to work most of the day & was getting enuf eggs to give to neighbors & friends. I didn't notice her slipping away to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by