1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Rooster??? Is this possible???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tancurls, Nov 6, 2011.

1. tancurls

tancurls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Huntington Beach
    Help!! I have one barred rock hen and one Araucanias hen. I also have a silkie bantam rooster. Everyone is about seven months old and the girls started laying about two months ago. The barred rock started laying first then my Easter egger is laying. Now I have noticed my roo in the nesting box all the time. My barred rock laid on the coop floor and I am sure it is because he was in the nesting box. What do I do??? Right now I only have one nesting box. I am going to make another one but I want him out of the boxes!! Can a roo get broody?? Any tips to break him??
    Thank you
    PS I love them soooo much!!!
    Who could have thought chickens would make the BEST pets!!!
    I love love love my girls and roosie!!!![​IMG]

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Yes in a range of situations but you need to confirm bird is in fact a rooster. Post a picture.

3. SagebrushMama

SagebrushMama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    Virginia City, Nevada
    Funny! I too have a broody Roo, he's a Black Cochin I treat him just like a broody hen. I just kick him off the eggs and into the yard for some food, water and sun.

4. tancurls

tancurls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Huntington Beach
    He is a roo for sure. He crows.

5. SagebrushMama

SagebrushMama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    Virginia City, Nevada
    To update my post, mine too is definitely a Roo. Maybe broody isn't the right word... Maternal??? In touch with his feminine side??

6. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Wow that's awesome. I want a broody roo… XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by