1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody rooster (pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flip9109, Mar 22, 2008.

1. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    I have never heard of such a thing, I was watching them this morrning and saw lou the roo climb in to the nest making those eggy noises most of my girls make(kind of a ticking sound) and sit on the eggs. he's acting just like a broody hen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] That is really cute!

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    There are chickens that have hormonal imbalances, like humans. Maybe your roo is one of those rarities with hormonal issues.

It is the reason some hens could pass as roos(but they lay eggs), and some roos act like hens(lol, apparently going broody).

It is odd and interesting, but I don't think it is anything to worry about. Now, if he ever lays an egg, then you probably had a hen the whole time with a hormonal issue. LOL

I would be interested to see if he truly sits the eggs, and even more interested to see how he reacts with his newly hatched clutch.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If he is truly broody, see if he will sit some spare eggs for just to see what he does with the little ones. Watch him though, you don't want him to sit the eggs and maim the little ones.

Or maybe he justs needs to come out of the closet and have a good mother son talk..LOL [​IMG]

-Kim

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    one of the girls kiked him out to lay. as soon as she left he went right back in. it's just so wierd. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by