Broody Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K7 Menagerie, Dec 5, 2008.

1. K7 Menagerie

K7 Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Bend, OR
    I had to share because this was just so funny! I bought a gorgeous golden laced standard cochin roo from equibling (and if you ever have the chance to buy from her, DO, she has wonderful birds with great personalities!). Well, I put Belanus in the coop along with 2 EE hens, 3 seven week old golden laced wyandotte pullets, and 2 young light Brahmas. The 2 hens started picking on the little ones a bit, so Belanus has become a Broody Rooster. The brahmas and wyandottes sleep snuggled up under his wings and he walks around the coop with them, protecting them from the big bad hens! It is TOO funny! I am going to get a photo of them this weekend........

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    He sounds like a very nice rooster. Is he friendly with his humans, too?

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Awww that's so sweet - we have to see pictures of that!

Have you seen the videos of the1much's blind rooster? He's really cute with baby chicks, too!

4. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Aww that is way to cute..I'm glad he is taking care of the babies. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Hold on to that roo ! Finding a nice roo for your hens (As long as he can produce chicks for ya) is a wonderful thing to have happen.

I have gone through alot of roos to get to the ones I have. When I get one that is a problem, I relocate him. I never cull a roo becuase he is aggresive, I GIVE him to someone who will cull him or use him for their flock. I bought and raised meat birds this year and have a good many left in the freezer.

6. K7 Menagerie

K7 Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Bend, OR
    He is a great rooster with his humans too. If I walk into the coop he wants to fly up and sit on my arm. He also likes to be held and will almost cuddle with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by