1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BROODY ROOSTER

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barnwife, Mar 12, 2009.

1. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    For all those who have asked me to post pics, and for all those curious about this, here ya go.

[​IMG]

This is my bantam black cochin rooster, Fluffy.

[​IMG]

This is the setup I have for my newest chicks. It's a giant plastic tote. With an itty bitty heat lamp. 4" deep shavings, food, water, & grogel on a plank above shavings level.

[​IMG]

fluffy, from the left side, a couple of chicks exploring. How many chicks do you think there are?

[​IMG]

This is the view from above.

[​IMG]

right side of fluffy, you can see SOME of the chicks.

[​IMG]

This is about half. There are 37 standard-sized chicks and 6 ducklings in here.

[​IMG]
    If you look closely, you can see some tiny little stilts in the feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a roo!

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    awwwwwwwwwww:D

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is priceless. Chickens are amazing animals that continue to amaze us with their crazy antics! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Thanks!

HE is a superstar lol. I had bought him originally as a her, and then was going to pop him in the stewpot. Then I saw him strutting through the entire yard the day I let my first batchof chicks out...and they were ALL under him!!! He was their mommy!

Out of 30 somthing layers, and 2o something feather-footed banties, I have not a single one who outdoes him in care for chicks.

May he breed this trait to all his offspring!

Did I mention he also beats out my buff mutt giant-sized, rir, gold sex link, br, and ameraucana roos for the girls?

They all weigh more than double his weight!

I will post more as the chicks get bigger and his fluff becomes less needed for them....especially the ducks.

5. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    Aww he is darling.

6. Donnadzitall

Donnadzitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Granite Falls WA
    That's so cool! I had a male ringneck pheasant sit on eggs before..which isn't really all that common. It is more likely for the ornamental pheasants to do that. He definitely looks like a keeper!! [​IMG]

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So he's manly with a feminine side! Well, instead of dinner he became Mr. Mom!

8. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Do you think it was the name my dd gave him when we thought he was a she at the feed store?

Fluffy.

Not very masculine. But, he is rescued from the menu! I'm sticking my buff something-or-other in the stewpot this weekend! He likes to crow a little early for me...330 am till 330 am. without fail. My neighbor might even like that dinner more than me, though! lol

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Fluffy!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] must have been a good curse!
    Well, that buff something or other just didn't have what us girls want, I guess!! I have a good recipe for noodles if ya need one! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by