Broody ROOSTER?????!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wischickenlover, Mar 29, 2009.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I adopted a frizzle rooster about two months ago from a friend. He is now sitting very faithfully on a clutch of eggs in the coop!!! I know it sounds crazy. I told my friend about it and she said she has had that happen with other frizzle roos she has had, and she said they have become very nurturing fathers to the chicks. I have never heard of this-anyone else have this happen? Is it just a spring thing???[​IMG]

2. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I heard it is possible to have broody roo:D

3. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I had a buff cochin bantam roo once that would brood the babies. He never set eggs though, but he might have if the hens would have let him. [​IMG] He was a very good pet, very gentle. The other two roos in the pen blinded him in one eye during a gang-up fight once as he was getting older and he then got his very own pen with two hens of his own. He would do his husbandly duty and every so often I would leave a small clutch in the nests so they could raise a few little ones. Then the hens would let him help raise the babies.
    The type of rooster you have is a good rooster!

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    heard of gamefowl doing it before, never had one myself though

5. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    This thread just makes me SOOOOOO happy! [​IMG]

6. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Buff Orp that occasionally sits on eggs for a day or two. Nice characteristic if we can get a roo that hatches. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  7. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    That is strange! I wonder if a roo has actually hatch any chicks. I just recently saw on pbs the movie the March of the Penquins and the male actually shares sitting duties and raising of the chick! It was awesome to see.

8. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    That is the Cutest thing!!! Please post a pic if you can! [​IMG]

9. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Are you sure its a roo???[​IMG]
    sandyj

10. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    Thanks for all the great replies! Yes, Sandy, he IS a roo-he crows with the best of em! I will try to get a pic of him-give me a day or so-have to get DD's camera from her. He is such a sweetheart-name is Elton.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by