broody rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by darcmayp, Apr 2, 2012.

1. darcmayp

darcmayp New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    So I came on here about two weeks ago with a picture of my two seabrights. they are a year old and about 2 weeks ago they were both girls, I saw one making big changes, growing a comb, getting waddles, and making noises like a rooster. I posted the pic and everyone told me that it must have been a late bloomer and that it was always a boy (even though i had boys before who all showed well before 6 months.) Now he/she has gone broody and has been sitting very happily for about 6 days now. The girl is confused and when she gets near him he makes growly noises and she had to start laying somewhere else. Has this ever happened before?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    When my hen got broody, her rooster would sit between boards and growl, and act like he was brooding chicks. Roosters try to help hens find the "perfect" nest, I found, when they need to lay an egg or be broody.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Keep in mind that Sebrights have only hen feathering. A hen's wattles and combs can become larger and redder when laying and brooding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by