Broody Rouen, not covering all eggs and other ???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by evansacres, Jun 7, 2011.

1. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I have a rouen duck who is dutifully sitting on her nest. She comes out only for a few minutes in the morning and then again in the evening before bed, to bathe, grab a bite and heads back. We are half way through right now - on day 14 today - She is currently in her duck house with the drake and two other pekin ducks at night and I let everyone out early in the a.m. for the day in their run and from 4:30 to 8:00 they are free to roam the property...

She is just barely a year old and is doing a great job under the circumstances. I looked at the nest last week and there were approximately 19 eggs (a mix of my 3 ducks). This morning she was off her nest before I got out there and everyone was treading on it. There are four eggs scattered away from the nest and some she doesn't always have covered, but are still in the nest. I read a post of one of the members picking up an egg that was developing even though it hadn't been 'in a nest'.

Should I just go ahead and take some of the eggs away? I really didn't think that she would be a serious broody at this young age and I don't need to have all those ducklings...also should I be moving the other ducks out of the duck house to avoid the nest being tread on? I don't see her abandoning her nest at this stage, but is it possible? She is so serious and doesn't leave the nest but in the early morning when I let them out, her eggs are the last thing on her mind [​IMG]

I'd appreciate any suggestions and/or advice !!

2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    you could candle them and see if they are all developing and take out the ones that are quitters. That may help with the being able to cover them all problem. The other ducks may need to be put into a separate enclosure so that they don't tread on the eggs because it will be harder to mover her as she may stop sitting if you move her and the eggs. I know I have read some people that move momma and eggs successfully but I've never tried it because my luck would be that they would stop being broody. Hope this helps a bit and someone with a lot more knowledge comes along to help!

3. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks [​IMG] Candled the ones that were scattered this morning and will have to set two back in under her as they are developing. I have no intentions of moving her [​IMG] - she's a hissing, puffing machine [​IMG] ! Will have to get my DH to help me enlarge their pen, so I can set up a separate area for her! She's gone to all this work - I guess I better follow through too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by