Broody Ruby

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandra Verbreyt, May 21, 2019.

1. Sandra Verbreyt

Sandra Verbreyt Chirping

Jul 12, 2017
    Temse Belgium
    HEEEELP
    My little lady Ruby is broody for the first time. I have followed procedures to break it but to no avail. It has been 2 weeks now that she insists on sitting in the coop brooding. When Margo lays an egg Ruby immediately sits on it. I have locked her out of the coop now every day and she wanders around the garden with Margo eating, scrabbling and drinking but if I dare go near the coop she is faster than a jack rabbit to get back in and brood. Is it normal for them to be broody for so long and will it do her any harm? Will it eventually go away? She is a very very friendly little lady and so tame but this broodiness is driving me nuts. I have had her in a dog cage etc but nothing works. Any advice please.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I believe @aart has some photos and good tips about breaking a broody, hopefully she will chime in :)

chrissynemetz likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What kind of cage and how was it set up and how long did you leave her in there???

I do....

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

I used to let them out a couple times a day, but now just once a day in the evening(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two. Or take her out of crate daily very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate.
    Chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
    upload_2019-5-21_9-37-48.png

chrissynemetz and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I've crated mine before and it's worked well. The last one I put her in with my rooster LOL There was no place to really "set" in the pen. He didn't harass her or anything like that, but did encourage her to eat/drink. I do think he was a little perplexed at times, she would follow him around clucking like a madwoman - complaining all day, he couldn't move without her just right there on him:gig Poor fella. A couple of nights, even when I let her out she would run to a nest, so I would wait until it was really dark and go place her on the roost.

chrissynemetz and aart like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have a nest cover that helps with that, I drop it down during their evening 'stroll'.
    [​IMG]

Then open it back up when I lock up after dark, so it's ready for the early layers.
    [​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Good idea!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It has saved me lots of 'trouble' both with broodies and new chicks.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    LOL Well, that last one I had, she wasn't using a nesting box. Thank goodness she chose a "nesting site" that I could easily reach her. She was ticked about being put on the roost at night though.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: