1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody,scrawny, lethargic hen with yellow skin round eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SamQ, Apr 2, 2012.

1. SamQ

SamQ New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    My Speckeldy Ruby has been broody for about 8 weeks now and is so skinny its scary. I have tried breaking the broodiness by removing the eggs regularly, taking her out of the nest, leaving her in the nest, ignoring her.....everything the internet has suggested and everything the place I bought her from has suggested. I can't stand seeing her looking so teribble.Around her eyes is beginning to look yellowy too. Do I need to get some fertilised eggs? I'm all out of ideas - please help! Thank you!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Seperate her and put her in a cage or crate for one week, provide feed and water. Purchase poultry nutri drench and give her 1-2 drops daily for 5 days. The poultry nutri drench is loaded with vitamins and minerals, dont give it to her more than 5 days...it can cause diarrhea.

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Wow, 8 weeks.
    That is a very long time. She really need to eat and drink.
    I would not let her hatch her own eggs now. Because she would have to be on her nest for another 3 weeks.

Sound like she really wants to be a mommy.
    I think you should go to your feed store and buy her a chick or two. most hens will adopt the chicks if they are young.

You really need to do something.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by