Broody Sebright?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristenm1975, Dec 5, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've induced my girls to begin laying eggs again for me by adding light on a timer and bribing them with hot mash every morning, with the bonus of fish and steak mixed in. (Went from one to 4 eggs a day in just two days time!!)

My little Sebright hadn't been laying for over a month, so far as I can tell. This morning I saw her out there, pacing in front of the nest boxes, making that bock-bock-bock- BWAK sound that usually means an egg is being laid.

I had gone out to gather eggs earlier in the morning and found that one of the girls had transformed the pile of straw in the nest box to a perfect little round nest, just like a birds nest you'd see up in a tree. How cute is that?! I took a picture and may even get around to posting it. [​IMG]

Anyway, I went out later, after the egg-laying noise, and found her all nestled up in the bird's nest. But, no egg! Do you think she's just practicing, or is she going broody? The plastic egg I put out there was in her little bird's nest.

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    It's possible she might be going broody. Just watch her over the next few days. Broody hens hardly get off the nest; only once in a while they get up to have a quick bite to eat, but then they go right back to the nest.

A broody Sebright sounds adorable! Take a pic of her on her nest if you can! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by