Broody Serama

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hawgon, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    How many eggs can I let my broody Serama sit on? I have hatched alot of incubator eggs but never used a "real" chicken...Any advice would be appreciated. On day 4 with the first egg and she has 7 under her now.

2. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Be sure she can completely cover the eggs and look as if she could fit a couple more. That's what I go by, anyways. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks Becci-just one of those things where I am not sure what to do or not do.....trying to gather as much info as possible...

4. Becci

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Relax and let mama hen do the work! [​IMG] Have you separated her from the flock?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  5. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    No, she is in a tractor with 3 other Seramas.(2)hens (1)rooster......

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The old time rule of thumb when hatching eggs under a hen (If the eggs are the same sized eggs that the brood hen laid) is 15 eggs.
    Fifteen eggs is what is generally meant by the old saying, "A hatching of eggs"

7. Becci

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Some people separate their broodies, others don't. I personally have never had a successful hatch when they're left with the flock.

The chicks end up being beat up or killed by the other hens,

The developing eggs end up cracked,

Or other hens lay eggs in the broody's nest box, the newer eggs get rolled underneath the setting hen, and this creates a 'staggered' hatch (eggs with different hatch dates) and the mama won't wait on all of them to hatch. (yea, marking the hatching eggs will prevent this)

I have a 'mini coop' that we relocate our broodies to, but a dog crate inside the coop will work fine. Dog crates seem to work really well, because the hen can still see and socialize with the flock, so reintroducing her won't be such a pain.

8. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Here is my Serama coop. She seems to be doing well and I noticed her out eating and stuff this weekend. Kinda cool seeing all this nature stuff!!!

[​IMG]

9. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I am still trying to figure out how to build or add a brooder box to my above Serama tractor....Any ideas????? Kinda worried when the chicks hatch how they will get down the ramp....Was suggested that when it gets close to time to put some food and water up in the coop and hopefully she will wait until they are bigger before they attempt the ramp....Thanks for all the info so far......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by