Broody Seramas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marie_martin, Dec 18, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have 3 serama hens and a couple weeks ago one went broody. I had not read much about seramas being broody, but obviously they can be. Now the other two are broody and are trying to share the three eggs that the first one was sitting on. Too funny. And boy are they cranky little boogers. Anyone here have much experience with seramas and especially broody ones.

Marie

2. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

http://s402.photobucket.com/albums/pp105/Lakota_Ranch/Broady%20Hens%20from%202008/?action=view&current=101408Broady_SeramaHens-WithChickAn.jpg

My
    two Broody Serama'a sharing one nest.

They are comical. They will steal each other's egg. They will also hatch larger eggs. Each Serama can warm about 4 larger eggs. Whatever is in the nest, they will try to cover. They flatten out, and yes, they make lots of noise when you go into the nest. Very cute. They share the nest and eggs and they will share the chicks.
    Maybe that is why the breed survives.

Enjoy them. I had 7 in 2008, and lost almost all of them. The chicks died as well, stepped on or something. My adults started showing signs of a cold then dropped one at a time. I miss those little guys.

Suzzie

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Great picture, Suzzie!

4. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Very cute, I love it. I will try to get a pic of my three and post it later.

Marie

5. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I have two that are broody. This is their first time and being new to this they stayed on their eggs for a couple days and then left the nest, so after a day of being up and around I threw the eggs away (way to cold). One girl layed another egg before the two went full fledge broody. Tomorrow will be three weeks that those two girls have been sitting on that little egg, well, today I can hear the baby in the shell. Hoping tomorrow we have a baby. It's name will be Uno. [​IMG]

Seramas are some insane broody mommas!!!

6. ItsSuzzie

Oh, a baby a baby.

Well my Serama count is going down. We had a cold night, about 4 degrees, I lost two chickens. Now I have only one pair of Serama....I went from 7 down to 2. At least she is laying.

7. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    So sorry to hear that you are loosing your Seramas, maybe your not aware that they need an additional heat source., if the temp. falls under its either 30 or 40 degrees.
    You say you still have 2 left, try and get them to some where warm.

8. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Well, Uno is here. And oh my this baby is so tiny, a beautiful golden color. But Butterscotch did it!! We have a hatch!!

Now, I wish the other broody girl would stop. She will not give in. I've read all the ideas on how to make them stop but I'm hoping she will give up on her own.

Everyone else is complaining about not getting eggs in Winter, well, these Seramas don't know there is a problem....and I'm not telling them. I get around 5 a week from each hen.

ItsSuzzie, soo sorry about the loss. That is so sad.

9. ItsSuzzie

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Found this short film. When I reached in, she would make a sound and fan out her tail.

10. ItsSuzzie

Ok, did that wrong....

again

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by