Broody Show-Girl with a Duck Egg

daddykirbs

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
We have a Show-Girl that has gone broody. We decided to let her sit on 3 eggs. Yesterday I went in and checked on her and found a duck egg under her LOL My 8 year old daughter wanted a baby duckling so she placed one in there when no one was looking. She knows that the male ducks took care of the first part so she thought the Show-Girl could finish it up. I thought that was funny so I wanted to share.

Cute, but unfortunately the duck egg will take 7 days longer to hatch than the chicken eggs. When the chicks hatch they will be mobile in a couple days and the broody most likely will abandon the duck egg to watch over the newly mobile chicks.

Cute, but unfortunately the duck egg will take 7 days longer to hatch than the chicken eggs. When the chicks hatch they will be mobile in a couple days and the broody most likely will abandon the duck egg to watch over the newly mobile chicks.

Ouch, good to know. We do have a small incubator that we could try to finish the duck egg.

Aww, how cute! :)

I had a hen hatch out some ducklings once- she loved her babies! She taught them to take dust baths. When they were all grown up and on their own, the other ducks would be playing in the pond, and the chicken-raised ducks would be taking dust baths. x)

But, as stated already, if the hen does hatch out chicks first she probably will abandon the duck egg. :( We had a different hen pull that on us.

Aww, how cute! :)

I had a hen hatch out some ducklings once- she loved her babies! She taught them to take dust baths. When they were all grown up and on their own, the other ducks would be playing in the pond, and the chicken-raised ducks would be taking dust baths. x)

But, as stated already, if the hen does hatch out chicks first she probably will abandon the duck egg. :( We had a different hen pull that on us.

That's adorable :)

Quote:
I hope it works for my daughters sake. It wouldn't be very good for her to see that dead embryo (because she will crack it open to see if it doesn't hatch).

The broody hen abandoned the egg in the last two days. We did, however, manage to incubate it in our little bubble incubator! We now have one very spoiled baby duck!

Back
Top Bottom