Broody showgirl not actually keeping eggs under her

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robbdebbie, Nov 7, 2009.

1. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    Well, the topic says it all. I have a broody showgirl, and when I found her in the nest box she wasn't sitting on any eggs. I picked the eggs up from the nest box over, and stuck them under her. I guess when she gets out to eat and poo she doesn't get the eggs back under her. If I stick them under her she kinda clucks, puts her wings down a bit, and kinda makes this hiss/cluck sound which makes her body jerk a little bit. I come back at night and she is in the nest but the eggs are all over the nest. What should I do?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Find a diffrent momma. She isnt ready yet...............or incubate them.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    If it was my hen and I didn't have an incubator I would try building her a deeper nest so the eggs can't go out from under her. Pack the sides six inches deep with bedding that will hold it's shape. I use bermuca hay.

4. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    That is a good idea. I don't have really good fertility right now anyways, so I was just kinda trying it out. I am going to check her again in a little bit. If it happens again I guess I will try and break her.

Debbie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by