Broody sick Margo the Silkie

Sandra Verbreyt

Songster
Jul 12, 2017
Temse Belgium
Hello Everybody,
Yes its me with Margo again. She has not been very well and a trip to the vet revealed she had an infection in her crop. She was given a 5 day course of antibiotics administered by the vet with one injection. Due to her being sick she lost some of her chest feathers which i am told may not return until spring. She is also broody at the moment :( and so is posing to be a naughty little chicken as she is being nasty to our other chicken Ruby. I do not want to lock her out of the chicken house as its a bit cold out and she has no feathers on her chest. I contemplated knitting her a chicken vest but was advised not to put chicken vests on to her. I will return to the vet with her tomorrow for a check up but how on earth do I get her to come out of the chicken house and stay out instead of running back in as soon as I open the door. Any advice on all matters will be gratefully received ;)

how on earth do I get her to come out of the chicken house and stay out instead of running back in as soon as I open the door. Any advice on all matters will be gratefully received
I'm sorry to hear that Margo is not doing well.
Hopefully the vet can help you get her feeling better soon.

With her being broody I'm sure that's not helping.
Caging her to break the broodiness may help. Lowering the body temperature is what you want to do, so if it's cool outside, then caging her may help. https://the-chicken-chick.com/broody-breaker-when-hens-mood-to-hatch/

Back
Top Bottom