Broody Silkie…… do i care?

MWSIFarm

Chirping
Feb 22, 2022
Western AUS. SW Region
Hey guys,

One of my silkie hens has gone broody. I searched around and i know there are methods to stop it. But my question is do i need to?

Im not fussed about their egg production. I tip her off the nest once a day to check for eggs and take them if they are there. Aside from that do i have to care that she has gone broody or just let her do her thing minus the eggs?

Hey guys,

One of my silkie hens has gone broody. I searched around and i know there are methods to stop it. But my question is do i need to?

Im not fussed about their egg production. I tip her off the nest once a day to check for eggs and take them if they are there. Aside from that do i have to care that she has gone broody or just let her do her thing minus the eggs?
It depends on her. Some broodies will stay on the nest for so long that it can be detrimental to their health. They lose weight, their nails and beak grow long, they pluck their undersides bald. They become more susceptible to mites, too. Some take better care of themselves and get up off the nest occasionally. Some snap out of it after a day or two.

My Silkies are broody so frequently that I can't possibly break them of it every time, but they do a good job of staying healthy. Any of my others go broody and I break them right away.

I'd just watch her to see which camp she falls into. Just know, too, that the longer you wait to break a hen, the longer it takes to break her.

Back
Top Bottom