Broody Silkie Cross hatching duck eggs

LillyBantam

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
Hello all

Last weekend I brought home two black East Indian ducks (bantam breed), a lovely pair. She laid 3 eggs for me. I have a very broody Silkie Cross (just under 1 year old, so our first grown-up spring with her). I decided to pop the duck eggs under her, I so want to hatch the natural way for a change.

Anyway, she's happily sat on them, it's now day 4 (eek still another long awaited 24 days to go). but i am learing as I go (as I am sure my gorgeous broody is!), so I thought id come on here and pick your poultry brains if I may!?

1. can I move her to a separate brooder? She squeeled when I tried and left the eggs, so was thinking is this better done after dark?

2. do you think she'll sit the 28 days when she's expecting 21 days (does a chicken even know how to count
tongue.png
)

3. Or can/should I leave her in the coop with the other broody pekin bantams?

4. I read somewhere that even though it's not an artificial hatch, a duck would usually be damp from the pond and that I should spray the eggs once per day while she is eating to raise the humidity, is this true/necessary?
hmm.png

5. What are the chance of the ducklings eventually realised he/she is a duck and joining her biological parents?

I am soooo excited that I am trying this, and so want it to work out!

I am going to candle them in the next day or so to see what is developing, if anything.

I plan to keep you all updated with the progress... my family are exhausted with my enthusiasm, so would I like to share it with some like minded people!
celebrate.gif

Wendy x

Hello all

Last weekend I brought home two black East Indian ducks (bantam breed), a lovely pair. She laid 3 eggs for me. I have a very broody Silkie Cross (just under 1 year old, so our first grown-up spring with her). I decided to pop the duck eggs under her, I so want to hatch the natural way for a change.

Anyway, she's happily sat on them, it's now day 4 (eek still another long awaited 24 days to go). but i am learing as I go (as I am sure my gorgeous broody is!), so I thought id come on here and pick your poultry brains if I may!?

1. can I move her to a separate brooder? She squeeled when I tried and left the eggs, so was thinking is this better done after dark?

2. do you think she'll sit the 28 days when she's expecting 21 days (does a chicken even know how to count
tongue.png
)

3. Or can/should I leave her in the coop with the other broody pekin bantams?

4. I read somewhere that even though it's not an artificial hatch, a duck would usually be damp from the pond and that I should spray the eggs once per day while she is eating to raise the humidity, is this true/necessary?
hmm.png

5. What are the chance of the ducklings eventually realised he/she is a duck and joining her biological parents?

I am soooo excited that I am trying this, and so want it to work out!

I am going to candle them in the next day or so to see what is developing, if anything.

I plan to keep you all updated with the progress... my family are exhausted with my enthusiasm, so would I like to share it with some like minded people!
celebrate.gif

Wendy x

1. if you are careful you should be able to move her (mark her eggs in case she gets up and someone sneaks another egg under her)
  2. She may not even make the 21 days, have a backup incubator... my broodiest set for 1.5 months at a time in different degrees of 'broodyness' (silkie-GLW crosses)
  3. you can, just check for extra eggs
  4. I would I've seen several people with problems chicken hatching duck eggs at the moment.
  5. Not sure... I keep all my poultry together.

Good luck, let us know

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Due to the fact that I have 7 other Pekin Bantams (all fairly broody hens) I am hoping that even if my silkie goes off someone else will be willing to step up
tongue.png

I am going to dab a little water each day just incase as another lady just came on and is worried her ducklings arent breaking through, perhaps her eggs are too dry. I just hope my hen doesnt mind a damp bottom!
D.gif

Wendy x

Oh I just wish I knew what to do for the best... its all so trial and error.

I dont want to ruin my first ever natural hatch. An experianced hatching friend says not to worry aboout moving her as she'll fight to the death to protect her young, but id feel just awful if some of them pecked a baby to death. On the other hand I am worried if I move her tonight she'll abandon them druing the night and they'll be cold by the morning and it'll be too late to pop them under another broody... Its so hard!
barnie.gif

but would she abandon it once she woke in the morning? Or just accept it. I might try, the other hens are semi broody and keep trying to steal her eggs (although she does the same to them!).

I guess as long as they're warm that's all the counts. I might consider moving her tonight if the others keep interfering.

I put a slanted cup of water lent against her nest yesterday and she happily sipped from it. Plus she pecked some corn I sprinkled on the nest.

I so excited but constantly worried at the same!
hu.gif

I have just candled them, all three developing I think. Haven't got a strong light, but I can see a ball floating around with something in it, and def a couple of veins in one.
celebrate.gif

Sadly, one egg rolled out of the nest today and got chipped, so I have dipped it in wax and got my fingers crossed for it. I figured I ought to give it a chance.
hu.gif

If I get a better torch I will try and take some pics.

Wendy x

Due to the theft of an egg yesterday resulting in a chip I decided to move my girlie last night under the cover of darkness, I made a fesh nest but took some of hers too and moved her with all the lights off. She seemed to accept it better than she had when I tried during the day.

I checked on her first thing this morning, she was still on the nest but one egg had somehow been left out in the cold next to her, I think I should have put a torch on them so she could see them before leaving her. It was cold, but I have popped it back under her. Do you think it'll be dead now? we're on day 4/5.

Once I let day light in today she got up and paced around realising she was in a different locaion, so I covered back up with a blanket and checked 20 mins later, she had settled back onto the nest. So now I have pulled back the blanket again to let in some light and so far so good.

She is in a large mobile guinea pig cage, with a large cardboard box on its side to make a cosy nest box.

Fingers crossed. x

Back
Top Bottom