Broody silkie hen - needs eggs.. Fridge eggs okay?

lisagr

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
I have a silkie hen that just went broody. I want to let her sit but I didn't know she was going broody until yesterday and she doesn't have eggs because we have been getting them. Can I let eggs I have already refridgerated come to room temp and put them under her? And how old can the eggs be from the fridge? Never hatched before so this is all new. Any help appreciated!

If I am not mistaken, refridgerated eggs can hatch, they just have a less chance of hatchability.

I had hatched some really cold eggs from outside, and they felt freezing and they hatched!!! give it a try!!! you will know in 7 days if they are viable!!

Another option is to keep her broody by putting an egg under her and then get silkie eggs from some folks on BYC , I happen to know a few that have some eggs
smile.png
and would be glad to send you some. Good luck....!!!!

I have hatched eggs from the fridge before. I'd place 6-8 eggs under her and candle them in 5-7 days. I would set that many due to the likelihood that hatchability will be decreased.

I went ahead and placed 6 eggs that I had in the fridge under her. So I will check the candle thing in 7 days. So exactly how do you do that? I haven't done that before... just hold them up to a candle to see if there is anything developing?
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.

" Candles, acetylene bicycle lamps, shafts of sunlight and so on have all been used historically to provide this ray of light which has typically been focused through a hole in a screen or in the side of a box. These days you can obviously buy excellent and easy to use battery or mains operated devices ( ‘candlers’) for candling eggs, including both hand-held torches and table-top models. Or you can easily make your own. To start candling eggs, pick up an egg lengthways between your forefinger and thumb. Then hold it directly up to and over the light exit hole. In a darkened room and with little or no light escaping from the candler, the egg will hopefully light up like a miniature (but dull) lamp bulb and you will be able to make out shapes on the inside. "

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom