Broody silkie hen - needs eggs.. Fridge eggs okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lisagr, Dec 15, 2012.

1. lisagr

lisagr New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    I have a silkie hen that just went broody. I want to let her sit but I didn't know she was going broody until yesterday and she doesn't have eggs because we have been getting them. Can I let eggs I have already refridgerated come to room temp and put them under her? And how old can the eggs be from the fridge? Never hatched before so this is all new. Any help appreciated!

2. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    If I am not mistaken, refridgerated eggs can hatch, they just have a less chance of hatchability.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I had hatched some really cold eggs from outside, and they felt freezing and they hatched!!! give it a try!!! you will know in 7 days if they are viable!!

4. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN
    Or, you could just let her sit on nothing for a couple days while you gather enough eggs for her.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby &amp; farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Another option is to keep her broody by putting an egg under her and then get silkie eggs from some folks on BYC , I happen to know a few that have some eggs [​IMG] and would be glad to send you some. Good luck....!!!!

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have hatched eggs from the fridge before. I'd place 6-8 eggs under her and candle them in 5-7 days. I would set that many due to the likelihood that hatchability will be decreased.

7. lisagr

lisagr New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    I went ahead and placed 6 eggs that I had in the fridge under her. So I will check the candle thing in 7 days. So exactly how do you do that? I haven't done that before... just hold them up to a candle to see if there is anything developing?
    Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.

8. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    " Candles, acetylene bicycle lamps, shafts of sunlight and so on have all been used historically to provide this ray of light which has typically been focused through a hole in a screen or in the side of a box. These days you can obviously buy excellent and easy to use battery or mains operated devices ( ‘candlers’) for candling eggs, including both hand-held torches and table-top models. Or you can easily make your own. To start candling eggs, pick up an egg lengthways between your forefinger and thumb. Then hold it directly up to and over the light exit hole. In a darkened room and with little or no light escaping from the candler, the egg will hopefully light up like a miniature (but dull) lamp bulb and you will be able to make out shapes on the inside. "

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  9. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by