1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Silkie hen not getting off nest to poop!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HelenaJean, Jan 27, 2011.

1. HelenaJean

HelenaJean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    outback Australia
    my silly girl isn't leaving the nest to deficate, so she does it in the nest. She's very docile, so i pick her up daily to have a look, i clean out any fresh poo but she's got some dried stuff on her eggs that i don't quite know how to remove!
    How likely is it to affect the hatching peeps? If would have first got on there day 6 of development and it's now day 8.
    and how to i remove it without hurting them! i'm scared to use any type of water incase it lower their temp too much and scraping it off worries me incase i crush or but into the shell. [​IMG]
    Any idea why she's not leaving the nest?

2. Zac's Flock

Zac's Flock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Maybe taking her off the nest once or twice a day would help. I would try and scrape the dried poop off the eggs gently. She may not be leaving the nest because she is so devoted to her eggs that she won't leave them! Silkies are great brooie and mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by