Broody Silkie Laying in the dirt w/no eggs

Tumbleweed Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Benton City, WA
My 8 month old silkie is laying in the dirt in a corner outside for 6 days now--she has never laid an egg but she is very motherly as she started raising incubated babies for me beginning at 3 mos of age. At first I thought she was sick and was going there to be alone and die. It dawned on me yesterday that she's not acting sick, gets up now and again to eat, drink.

My worry with her is that it has been pouring rain and 30mph winds for 3 days now--it's useless to put her in the coop, she just comes out and goes back to her invisible nest.

I wonder if I should lock her up in a dog crate in the coop with some food and water (can't shut coop door--wind blew it off last night) OR should I just let her be.
th.gif

In that kind of weather it would be better to keep her inside the coop. Apart from just sitting, is she showing any signs of anything being amiss?

No, she is fine. Hubby is fixing the door tonight and I've decided to lock her in the coop for her own good--she can just sit in there if that is what she wants!

Back
Top Bottom