Broody Silkie pullet at 7 mos?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akpeeps, Oct 10, 2009.

1. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    [​IMG] Olivia doesn't have one under her and hasn't laid in about a week but she's been hunkered down in a corner her pen all week. She usually lays like clock work every other day. She gets up long enough to eat and drink and then back she goes.
    Then I found a huge poop the other night and thought it was from one of the roosters, until I saw her leave one this morning. [​IMG] OMG, it didn't know something that big could come out of such a little hen. [​IMG]

Should I put one of the eggs from the incubator under her?

I have 7 in there now. Three are from my older Silkie and all 3 are fertile at day 9. I put 3 in from Olivia and only one is developing so I don't want to use that one. It's her very first chick. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The last one is from my other broody hen that just started laying again and is fertile so I'm hoping for another cuckoo chick, so don't want to use that either.

2. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Yep, she's broody. [​IMG]

Gisele layed an egg yesterday and I slipped it under Olivia last night.

Olivia was rolling it around this morning and settled back down on it. I know Gisele's are fertile so I'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations!!!

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    fingers crossed... good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by