Broody silkie pullet with two week old chicks can't walk

Jen the Hen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Please help. My black silkie went broody about three weeks ago and I didn't have the heart to break her. I would make sure she got out of the nest at least once a day to eat drink and poop. A week ago I got her day old chicks and it was love at first site. She has been keeping them warm and caring for them for a week. Today I noticed my silkie can barely walk and uses her wing to hobble forward when forced to move. She prefers to just sit and call to her chicks if they wander too far. I moved food and water so she can reach without moving. She eats and drinks some and poops a little. But I am worried. Any advice?

Please help. My black silkie went broody about three weeks ago and I didn't have the heart to break her. I would make sure she got out of the nest at least once a day to eat drink and poop. A week ago I got her day old chicks and it was love at first site. She has been keeping them warm and caring for them for a week. Today I noticed my silkie can barely walk and uses her wing to hobble forward when forced to move. She prefers to just sit and call to her chicks if they wander too far. I moved food and water so she can reach without moving. She eats and drinks some and poops a little. But I am worried. Any advice?
Wry neck maybes? It's a vitamin deficiency and silkies are prone to it. I will check with my friend who keeps Silkies to see what they say and I will get back to you. I would have just said she was wanting to sit and keep them warm but if she's had them for a week then she should really be up a lot more now...

My friend said As she has been sitting and not eating properly I would suspect a vitamin deficiency as silkies are prone. So firstly I would get some vitamins in if in US Polyvisol in uk nutri drops or kids vitamins with no added iron a few drops direct into the beak. If her neck was floppy or she was twisting it at all I would say Vitamin E with Seleium plus the vitamins. Give oily fish like tuna or mackerel or a bit of wet cat food fish flavour for an extra boost. Has she been wormed?

Not wormed. But I haven't seen anything in poop. Neck not twisted. I will get vitamins and tuna and give try. Thanks so much. I love her. I have dewormer and can try next

Do you mean human vitamin b. Checking all local feed and tack and so far no polyvisol

Please do check her feet...she may have bumblefoot...any sign of a dark brown or black scab under either of her feet ?

Back
Top Bottom