Broody Silkie questions, **Update**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Mar 28, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    So I have a broody silkie that's been sitting on eggs for 22 days now. There doesn't appear to be anything happening. I candled and they were dark so I know there are chicks so I'm wondering if they might just be late. I figure I can give them a few more days and see if anything happens. But my real question is, if these eggs don't hatch will she ever give up or will she continue to sit on the eggs for the rest of her life. I feel really bad for her because she's been so dedicated. Has anyone ever had a broody sit and not get chicks? I do have some chicks that I could try to give her but if she will give up soon I'd rather not give them to her because my three other hens are really aggressive.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I had a hen sit for 42 days. she set for 21 days and no eggs where good I got her more and she sit for another 21 days till she got 3 chicks to hatch. She wanted her babies! When you candle do you see air sacs? or is the WHOLE egg dark? Also if you so see air sacs can you see movement. I know somtimes when the egg is full of chick its hard to see movement.

3. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I was thinking of trying to candle now that it's dark outside. Can I hurt the eggs now that they are so far along or will they be ok? I'm thinking like you aren't supposed to open the incubator for the last days should I not move her eggs at the end?

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I would leave them I have had chicks hatch at 26 days under a broody due to she was sitting in november and the coldness took its toll and the chicks developed slowly.

5. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Ok, I'll leave them alone. It has been kind of cold so they may have developed more slowly. They were due to hatch friday so it's only one day late.

6. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Our Silkie has now joined our OE hen is in the house and is setting on her 1st batch... the OE is on her 3rd batch (setting since Thanksgiving!)

As long as they are well cared for, well-fed, and do get up and move around (no leg atrophy!) then they do fine and dandy!

In fact-- after the last batch that our OE hatched, we tried to let her "break the habit" and she started CROWING!!! So after 5 days of THAT nonsence, we gave her more eggs-- and she set immediately and was happy as a clam!

Some of us were just Born to be Mommies!!! [​IMG]

7. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Quote:Third batch in a row?? She didn't get chicks from any of the three times?

8. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Just wanted to give an update. She finally got one little baby to hatch. It's a little black silkie. I can't get pictures because she keeps hiding the baby way back in her box. I'm not sure if any of the other eggs are going to hatch. We'll see. I was just excited that she got at least one baby. [​IMG]

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by