Broody silkie - should I move her and the nest?

pixiechic

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
North GA
I have a broody silkie sitting on a nest of mixed eggs - a couple of her own, and a few green araucana eggs. This is our first time - Mellow was broody back in December, but gave it up after about a week. It's been almost two weeks this time, and I can't wait to see if we'll get some chicks!

Instead of a nest box, she's selected a protected area on the floor of the coop, under a pallet leaning against the wall. She's very good about getting right back on the nest after a short break to eat, poop, or drink. I've noticed that the number of eggs keeps changing - an egg will get added or subtracted from the nest every few days. It's easy to imagine another hen laying over there, but when eggs disappear from the nest, where do they go?

Should I separate Mellow and her nest away from the rest of the flock, or let her be? I could bring her indoors to hatch under a heat lamp if needed.

i have 2 nest boxes for my hens and they normally all use 1 box but when a egg is layed in the other box by itself, a hen will move it back to the other 1 with a lot of eggs. idk who moves but that's what they do.
idunno.gif

Thanks L*A*G*.

I'm thinking we should move her nest to a dog crate in the garage, next to the (currently full) chick brooder. Will she miss the other chickens if we take her out of the community completely, or will she be relieved and less stressed?

Back
Top Bottom