Broody Silkie sitting on one egg HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommhen, Feb 23, 2015.

1. mommhen

mommhen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    I am trying to collect a clutch for my broody silky, store them on the counter, and start them all on the same day to have them hatch around the same time...... but I'm only getting one egg a day (from a non broody, the broody stopped laying for the moment).....

Problem is as soon as an egg is laid by her sister she takes it and starts incubating/sitting on it, so when I get home from being gone at work all day the development process has already started right? Or has it?[​IMG]

Can I collect this warm egg and set on the counter for the clutch I want to start, and do this everyday until I have enough for her clutch? Or is it important that I collect eggs right after they are laid?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Probably. It shouldn't do that much developing in a few hours. But this will work best if you have a separate place for each, so they don't switch nests or steal eggs from one another.

3. mommhen

Dec 23, 2014
    Its more than a few hours. It could be 8-10 hours later.

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm only guessing, but I would still think it would work. Let me check with someone who knows a lot more than I do about this.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Not much developing happens within the first 24 hours of incubation, so they should be o.k. I have in the past removed eggs from broody hens' nests hours after they were added, and found no sign of development when I cracked them. Judy's advice to try and separate the hens so the broody can't steal the new eggs, is good, if possible.

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Collect your eggs as soon as you get home and you will be fine. Don't wait to long before you set your hen---I like to set before the oldest egg gets a week old. I always mark the date on the egg when I am collecting for a set. I Always mark the eggs good with a pencil before I put them under the hen----then I remove any fresh layed eggs ""Daily"" from under her so there will Not Be a staggered hatch----after a few days I Move My broody, nest and all at night---using little to no light to a hatching pen. All my Nest are where I can pick up the whole nest with broody still on her eggs. Doing this gives her privancy, do not have to look under her anymore, keeps from getting broken eggs during the incubation. Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Very good points from Riverman. I use a Sharpie to mark eggs, though.

8. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I never experimented with a sharpie(thinking chemicals)---It would for sure stay on alot longer---through the hatch. I will try it.

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I was concerned about this, til I read here how many people had been using it. I figured if it harmed them, it would have shown up by now. Hardly proof, but oh well!

10. mommhen

Dec 23, 2014
    Great thanks for the good advice I was wondering if it was 7 days you could wait or more or less so that helps thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by