1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody silkie with broiler chicks (pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiepooh, Apr 22, 2007.

1. chickiepooh

chickiepooh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Otsego, Minnesota
    I just bought a half dozen broiler chicks from the local farm store... they always have a huge variety of chicks, duckling, goslings, turkey and pheasant chicks on hand. It is a great place in Anoka, MN for anyone in this area.

I thought maybe one of my broody silkies might take to these babies. Sure enough... as soon as I put her in with them she started tucking them all under her wings! Cute!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sunshine Hen

Sunshine Hen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    how cute [​IMG]

Are you going to eat the chicks when they're older? Won't that upset your silke?

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    A good brooding silkie will mother anything. Had a woodpecker fall from a nest and placed it under a silkie hen, she raised it like it was her own. Even after it was able to fly off, it would come back to visit it's step- mom.

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    panner123, That story was so sweet!!! We are very luck to have witnessed such a thing as a mother hen adopting a baby woodpecker. Wonderful things like that just make my heart smile.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by