Broody Silkie with No Eggs Under Her!

chickens4jojo

Songster
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
Cottonball, my sweet little white silkie, just started laying eggs a few weeks ago. Now she will not get up off of the nest, "growls" at us, and seems so determined to hatch a patch of straw in the nest box as there are no eggs under her at all.
roll.png

Will she sit there forever if I do not buy her some inexpensive fertile eggs so that she will eventually hatch some & then start to lay her own eggs again? Or will she find out soon that nothing is there?
big_smile.png

Thanks so much for any advice you may have for me!
smile.png

Silkies will sit until they feel like they are done, at least my girls are that way, Lily is the worst I thing total all summer she has been off a nest maybe a month or so. she will sit for 3 wks, off for a week or so then back on. I gather eggs daily. I will not have anymore silkies. I have 4 at present.

Some of my silkies would sit until I broke down and put a couple of chicks under them (after 2 months) but I also had one that got up on day 21 everytime and go about a month and then get broody again. They will try to hatch air!!!

Silkies certainly are interesting.
smile.png

Thanks for your replies~~now I know that my silkie isn't too unusual at all as I am so new to the "Silkie World."

I just hope she remembers to get up and eat & drink, etc!

Back
Top Bottom