1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody silkie--yay--should I separate her from the rooster?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Apr 1, 2012.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi all,

My silkie mama just went broody today--woot! I've been marking her eggs and leaving the freshest in the nest. I believe she had four under her, and I added back another two that I had previously collected (all less than a week old).

Now, my question. I set it up so that her laying area is in a small section of the coop that can easily be separated from the other, with its own entrance and exit. She is my only hen (I hope she'll raise some new hens for me!), and I have a single rooster. He is aggressive with humans, and protective of her.

Should I close off her section? If I do, she and he will both be completely alone, though there is a wire portion of the coop that they could see each other through if she's not actually sitting on eggs. She would not have access to forage--only whatever food I put in the pen for her, and water.

I've hatched duck eggs, chicken eggs, and quail eggs in an incubator. This is my first time with a broody! I've read lots, so I'm not a complete newb, but I welcome tips of all sorts.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Can anyone help? This is her second day on the eggs, and she doesn't seem to crave his company. Should I close off her section so he can't bother her? Or should I leave it open so he can cuddle up to her at night? Thanks!

3. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    I would try and seperate him if he is aggressive. I had a broody and the rooster was the same way. When she had her babies, he tried to get to them. I had to remove her and the new babies and put them in there own pen.

Good luck!!

4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you! Yes, it's easy to separate them--all I need to do is put water & food in her portion and close the little swinging door that connects the two sections. I just didn't know if that was the optimal thing to do. I'll take care of it today. Thanks!

5. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    You are most welcome! I think it is for the best. Best to not take a chance, never know what that rooster will do.

Good luck![​IMG]

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    You might not need to separate him! Just keep a close eye on him. If he keeps going into the nest box and upsetting the broody, then you must separate him. I have never had to do it and I have several roosters. In fact the boss rooster actually helped his favourite hen make her nest and he used to go in with her each time she laid an egg - like her bodyguard. He was also really protective of her and the chicks and would call the chicks over for tasty treats and they ate from his beak!

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Good to have another opinion, thank you! During the day, I have him in a separate pen to forage (he attacks the children, so he never free ranges like she does). Last night, he didn't seem at all interested in her when I put him to bed in there, so I think I'll just keep my eye on them. There have been eggs in the coop for over a week (I've been removing the older ones and leaving the freshest), and he hasn't given them so much as a glance. So I think I'll leave things as they are for now and just keep an eye--especially as she gets closer to hatch day (April 21 or so!). Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by