Broody silkie

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
My silkie hen is going broody for the first time. Its been nesrly a month. Yesterday i put her in the coop i bought for my new chicks to live in until they are big enough (they aren't in there yet) so that she couldnt get back on the nest. I put her back in the main coop on the roosting bar at night. This morning she was right back in the nesting box. How long do i have to keep her seperated from the gang? Ive noticed they want to pick on her more that shes been away in the nesting boxe for so long and im worried shes scared and staying there even longer.

Our silkies did the same thing, and we had to put her in an isolation cage for about four days. After the four days, she went back to normal. Silkies are one of if not THE broodiest chicken breed! Your setup sounds fine, but you need to keep her isolated longer. Also, you did the right thing putting her back in the coop at night. Do this again once she's not broody. Hope this helps!

For the picking on part, I had a chicken like that who got it bad. So, I would pick her up, pet her infront of everyone and give her the treats first. I would make sure most of them would see me doing that. If they tried to "cut in" and get the treats before her, I would shoe them away. I would watch them at roost at night and make sure she got in okay. If there was any picking on, I would say "hey" in my mean chicken voice
263a.png
, and they seemed to get it. This took about 2 days for me, and everything turned out fine. Good luck to yours!! :)

I have a broody silkie as well, I think I've given up and am going to put some fertile eggs under her.

Back
Top Bottom